The holiday season is approaching fast! Many of us are anticipating taking some time to just relax and unwind with friends and family members. We’re also looking forward to those delicious holiday meals! The holidays do pose some specific dangers to our animal friends, however, so you may want to take some extra precautions to keep your beloved pet safe. Here, a local Las Vegas, NV vet discusses some Turkey Day Hazards for pets.
Your pet will likely be paying very close attention as those delicious dishes come out of the stove. It’s fine to give your animal companion a special treat, but be very careful what you offer. Many of our favorite holiday foods are not safe for pets! Some things to keep away from your dog or cat include chocolate; caffeine; pitted fruits, especially avocados; garlic, onions, scallions, and chives; raw meat, dough, or eggs; nuts; and grapes, currants and raisins. You’ll also want to avoid giving your pet anything that contains xylitol. Ask your vet for more information.
Dogs are notorious for digging through the trash in the hopes of scoring themselves some yummy leftovers. This can be very dangerous for Man’s Best Friend! Since your trash may contain bones, wrappers, and/or dangerous foods, be sure to use a garbage can with a secure lid.
Pets often get very excited when guests are coming or going. Keep a close eye on your four-legged friend. You don’t want Fido or Fluffy slipping out an open door!
Candles can really give your home a cozy, inviting glow. However, pets and candles are a very dangerous combination. Burn candles and potpourri in high, secure places, well out of paws’ reach. You’ll want to be very careful with fireplaces, space heaters, and outdoor ovens as well. Better safe than sorry!
While many decorative items are quite harmless, others can be very dangerous. Items made of plastic or glass are particularly hazardous, because they can break into small pieces that can choke or cut a playful pet. You’ll also want to be careful with anything that uses a cord: our furry friends can chew on or get entangled in live wires. This can be extremely dangerous!
Do you have questions about your pet’s health, diet, or care? We can help! Contact us, your local Las Vegas, NV animal clinic, anytime!